Learning about Phases of the Moon and Eclipses: A Guide for Teachers and Curriculum Developers (Kavanagh, Claudine; Agan, Lori; Sneider, Cary. Astronomy Education Review, v4, n1, p19-52, 2005) http://aer.aas.org/resource/1/aerscz/v4/i1/p19_s1
- What do you know about the Moon?
- How do you think the Moon’s appearance will change over time?
(Have students make predictions)
- Record observations of the Moon (during the day or night) for several days
Moon Observation Journal template
(download from https://moonkam.ucsd.edu/files/activities/MoonKAM%20-%20Moon%20Observation%20Journal.pdf)
- How do your observations of the Moon compare to your predictions?
(Have students discuss and/or write their comparisons.)
- How do your observations compare to a Moon phase calendar?
Moon Phase Calendar available at:
Sun Moon Scope (to show relationship between Sun, Moon, and Earth)
- How would you describe the phases of the Moon?
Phases of the Moon video: http://www.neok12.com/php/watch.php?v=zX5c60455063656c6c595c41&t=Moon
Moon Phases: http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonphase/
- How would you model the phases of the Moon?
steps 1 and 2 of Golf Ball Phases: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/pre_service_edu/GolfballPhases.shtml
- Why does the Moon have phases?
- Illustrate the phases of the Moon.
Phases of the Moon worksheet (PDF doc)
- Moon Challenge Game
More Moon Resources:
- GRAIL MoonKAM at https://moonkam.ucsd.edu/home
- NASA’s Lunar and Planetary Science–The Moon at http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/planets/moonpage.html
- NASA’s Solar System Exploration–The Moon at http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Moon